Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Negativity Needs to Stop

     As a person who is on the computer for far too many hours every day, I see a lot of negativity on the internet. My parents raised me to look on the positive side of situations, and understand that negative things happen, and that I can't let that get to me. I was taught that people will say negative things, and give negative opinions, but at this age in time, it's gone too far, and it needs to stop.
     I spend a lot of time on Facebook, (as many girls my age do) and I see many opinions, from something as silly as Miley Cyrus, to something as huge as rape. I used to only see the silly things, things like "Jelena back together?" or "No one ships Haylor!". Now, as I get older (I say this like I'm a sage, when I say get older I mean like six months older) I realize that there are such bigger issues. Issues like "So and so was murdered today..." and "Millions died on sight of a gas leak..." and I am SO done with reading things like that. I scroll down my Facebook feed and read a funny screen cap from tumblr and laugh and then scroll down to see ANOTHER post about how awful republicans are or about mean white men who are against abortion, and my smile turns slowly into a frown. A long while back, I had to stop watching the news, because it made me depressed, all I heard about were fires and murders and missing children. I never heard one news story about the man who saved someone from killing themselves, I never heard about the amazing organization that is the Trevor Project. I started to become a negative person, and I didn't like it at all.
     Here me out on this, I consider myself a feminist, I support homosexuality/bisexuality/pan-sexuality etc. I talk about it when I feel passionate about it, and when I feel it's necessary to educate people that feminists don't hate men. But I don't go around on social media clouding peoples minds with this nonsense that they don't understand. How about instead of sitting here in our houses, shoving information down people throats like we're the education system, we get out there and LOVE EVERYONE. Because everyone is worth it. If you go out bashing Christians, and Cisgendered (I don't think I said that right) people, you are merely sinking to the level of people who you are trying to "fight". Instead of "fighting" let's get off our lazy butt's and change the world with a fresh state of mind.
     I try and go into any argument or situation thinking "We both think we're right, I know what I believe is true, I don't think I'm any better than them and that is what's important" because really, no one is higher or more important than another, (as hippie dippie as this all sounds) we are all equal. I'm not a "commie" or whatever, humans are humans and should all be treated like living things. I hope this changes at least a couple of perspectives... Let's all just try and make people a bit happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment