Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Lucky Education

     I've recently realized how lucky I was to get the education that I did. The fact that I got education in general is amazing, but what's even better are the schools I went to, and their morals

     From kindergarten to 3rd grade I went to a school of about 25 students. There were 2 main teachers and sometimes parents would come in to teach us spanish, or read us stories. We were encouraged to read and explore our creative side by drawing mandalas every morning (yeah I know, I live in a hippie town.) We put on plays 2 or 3 times a year, and always had amazing people come in and teach us music. It was there that I found a passion for learning new things, and exploring the world around me.

     In 4th through 6th grade, I went to another small school, on a bigger public school's campus (I think it was called a magnet school, but I could be wrong.) My 4th and 5th grade teacher was super nice and although our spanish teacher wasnt always the nicest, we learned A LOT. In those two years I learned that I had a knack for math.
     6th grade was a bit different. Because the other school that we shared a campus with was 6th through 8th grade,  we would sometimes have classes with them. To me, these public school kids were savages; not because I'm biased towards public or private school, but because they were so f*cking rude. They would constantly interrupt the teachers, and say extremely terrible things to eachother. Not only did I hate them, but I felt bad for them. I could see how much they hated school, which made me that much more thankful for what I had.

     In 7th and 8th grade, our school moved to another campus and became an independent charter. I didn't learn a lot academically those years but I learned much more important things. We did CERT and learned important first aid and how to use a fire extinguisher. The school invited some people in the LGBT+ community to come and teach us about different things (I didn't pay attention cause I thought I was straight.) We had a lot of sex ed, not really about sexy time but more about reproduction and STI's. They also invited people to come talk to us about sex, (I once again didn't listen cause I didn't think I'd care) they didn't preach abstinence,  but instead explained how to be safe.
     But the most important thing I learned in my years of middle school and junior high, is communication. I learned how to talk to people respectfully and how to listen. I learned multiple methods for problem solving and conflict resolution. One thing I noticed when I was still in school, is that there are tons of misunderstandings between people. It felt like everyone was talking behind someone's back, and no one would accept social challenges head on. I consider problem solving to be one of my strongest assets, and it's thanks to having an amazing education.

     I got really lucky in terms of school (although I could have done without the homework.) I think education is a HUGE flaw in this system. I hope more and more people keep doing research to understand how messed up it all is... maybe I'll do another post about my high school experience (although it's not long) as well.

Here is a link to a video about how messed up the education system is.

No comments:

Post a Comment